Sunday, October 28, 2007

PIGLET





This is my cat Piglet. She is a 4 years old domestic short haired cat that someone brought into the clinic that I worked in, in Riverside, CA. She stated that she found her in the alleyway behind the Dental office she worked in, and couldn't keep her because she is allergic to cats. I believed her when she started sneezing violently before she even left our clinic.

I took one look at this 3 week old kitten and said, "I'll bottle feed her and foster her until I can find her a good home. There is NO way I'm keeping that Torti cat, (which is what her color marking is called) because they have a bad reputation for being very sassy, and hard to handle" "Spitfire" is a good term, but my husband has a better term, "Firecracker!"

Well I fed her until she was 5 weeks old, and I am experienced enough to know that when you raise a kitten, it is rather hard to find them a home. I started putting out the word to friends at work that I had this kitten and needed to find it a home. A good friend of mine said she knew someone who was looking for a kitten. After some phone calls, she told me that this person was so excited and wanted to come that day to get the kitten and take her away. You would think that someone socked me in my stomach. I told my friend that the kitten was still to young and I would have her for at least another week or two. Her friend wanted the kitten today. She wouldn't take no for an answer. She said she would finish raising the kitten. I didn't know what to do. I called my husband and told him the situation. Then I cried. I couldn't give her away. I asked him if we could keep her, and he said "I didn't think you would ever give her away, not when I saw how you cared for her. Cooing and awing at her all the time. Yes we can keep her" I was fooling myself into thinking I could give her away, when even my husband knew I could never do it. What a wise husband I have...LOL So I gave my friend the bad news, her friend would have to find another kitten.

It didn't take long for me to find the perfect name for her, because when she started eating regular cat food and there was no stopping her. She had a red plush dog bone to play with, that was her favorite when she was little. It was as big as she was. I also tried to brake her of all her sauciness. But my methods failed. She grew up to be as sassy as the worst Tori cats I have ever seen. Here is a pic of her with her favorite bone. She thinks she's is killing it.





Well I wrote this blog because Piglet is really sick. She has had a fever for 7 days averaging around 104*F, The highest being 105.2*F She didn't eat for 6 days. My vet put her on 4 medications, 2 antibiotics an appetite stimulant, and a steroid. She is feeling much better. My vet, Dr Herrera, is wonderful and also my good friend. She has been straight forward with me and says we need to wait and see, how she responds to the medications. I post another update later hopefully with good news on Piglets recovery.

2 comments:

Jolene Harris said...

Caleb and I will be praying for Piglet

Alice said...

Thank you Jolene, She is feeling much better her temp tonight is 103*F, and she's starting to eat better, she even got on her cat tree tonight which she hasn't done in 8 days. I'll post another pic soon.
Love Alice