Monday, October 15, 2007

New Addition




Well, I do have to say this blog entry is for Caleb. He will enjoy this the most. This baby bunny was found at my husbands job site. Clearing away brush, and having probationers helping, this tiny baby bunny was found under a wood pile. I am calling it a he, because he reminds my of Peter rabbit. It is one of my favorite children's book, and very true to life.

Well I think Peter was taking a nap (Bunny nap, not cat nap...LOL) when he was disturbed by a girl doing community service and cleaning up with a pitch fork! I think this tiny little bunny was in a state of shock. As a prey species, they inherently play dead in hopes the one holding them will loosen their grip, and he can scurry away. Well, by that point my husband had it in a hard hat holding it.

Of course animal rescuer that I am my husband called me and I met him on the shoulder of the freeway to save this scared cold and hungry little bun. He didn't do much for several hours when I got it home. I gave it a little of everything I give my domestic rabbit and left it alone. After about six hours I couldn't keep enough food in it cage. It was hungry, and now it was pooping A LOT! I was amazed at how much one tiny, 8 oz. little thing could eat and poop.

As a vet tech I know the most important thing for a rabbit to do is eat. If they fast for any reason, their gut will shut down and they will die. If a rabbit is eating, then they have to poop also, because what goes in, must come out. They have very fast metabolism, so it doesn't take long.




The worst thing you can do when you rescue and rehabilitate any orphaned or wild animal, is give them a name. There is a 90% chance that it will never leave your house. Everything in me is yelling to go release it ASAP. It is not injured, it is eating and drinking, so it should be okay. They other part of me is saying fatten it up a little then go release it somewhere safe. Not by the side of the freeway were I found it. There will be another blog soon with pic's of when I released the bunny and I am sure it will be much happier, and I will have my blog and pics to remember the little bunny I helped.

3 comments:

Sis. Sabrina said...

Bro Joe is turning into a big animal softy. Tell him it's ok my deer hunter over here is turning softer too, the other day he wouldn't let me kill this spider tried to use all this logic lol
Sabrina

Alice said...

Yes, Bro Joe is turning a little softer, it's good for him to be sensitive every now and then. LOL. This little bunny really is showing his wild side. Today while I was holding it, it almost got away from me. He really deserves to be set free. But Joe agreed, he said "Fatten him up a little first." LOL

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

He is soooo cute!!! Of course he needs to be turned loose, but not yet. That's right, fatten him up a little.
You know that how we got our BunBun. And now, he owns my yard!!! That's OK. I love it. I'll grow stuff later again, Lord willing.
BTW the toughest ones turn out to be the softest ones in the end, tender hearted.
Love you and your family.