Monday, October 1, 2007

FREEDOM



Freedom is a wonderful thing
I wish I could be free
but for a bird it is not good
being stuck in a cage forever
I've got to be free so I can really fly
the cloudy skies above.

It would be good to fly again to get out there
and fly away so high that I can see everything below me
It would be fun to get out there with other birds.

But I can not have freedom because I am stuck in this cage
until the door opens,
I will have my freedom to fly away.

Kevin Hall Oct 1,2007

My son wrote this today in English class and I just had to put it on my blog. He was excited when I picked him up from school and said "Mom, I wrote my first poem today." It is based on a poem by Maya Angelou, called CAGED BIRD but his spin on it was freedom.


Freedom means a lot of different things to different people. To some it might be being able to come and go as they please. To others it might be being able to say what they want, when they want to say it. To even others it might strike the picture of a Marine standing in the desert of Iraq, but to those of us who are Christians it means being able to worship our God without the threat of being arrested or even killed. Reading this poem, reminds me that we all have the freedom, the freedom to fly. We can all spread our wings and tell others, or better yet show others the freedom we have in Christ.

4 comments:

Mark Pryor said...

Was reminded of this verse;

John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Jolene Harris said...

Your son did an outstanding job on this poem. It sure got my mind a spinning.

We do have the freedom to fly Isaiah 40:31 "...they shall mount up with wings as eagles..."

Great post!!!

Alice said...

Freedom is surely a blessing. Thanks for the comments.

Debbie Pryor said...

Great poem!