Friday, June 6, 2008

New Spider

I know I haven't blogged recently... I have a lot I have been thinking about blogging but this couldn't wait. I have a new spider.

Phidippus audax, or jumping spider. I have a good pic of this one. I think it is a male. I read a discription of this spider and the males have green eye brows. This one does, but you can't see it well in the pic I got. They are common throughout the United States and Canada.




They are very hard to catch since they "Jump" and are not posionous. Their bite can sometimes be irritating however. They do jump on their prey.



Ofcourse, I will be forwarding this spider to my friend. Her son (who is now 18 yrs old, I think) is very excited about this one...Then again they are always excited by any new creature that comes along their path.

2 comments:

Jolene Harris said...

Oh Alice, I can't wait until Caleb gets here to see this one. He is going to be ecstaic. He has looked at your blog here and there to see if you had any new creatures to look at. This one will make his day. Thanks for sharing. Now we will be online doing research about this little fella.

Alice said...

Hi Jolene,
There are more pic's of this one eating on my blog. Please tell Caleb that if he was closer I would pass it along to him. I thought about him when I published this post. Hope all is well with you.
Alice

PS... Tell Caleb these spiders can live 2 years or longer.