Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's day



Well I thought about father's day and a story came to my mind. I was in the second grade, or maybe even the first grade. I walked to school with my aunt who was in the fifth grade. We went to the same Elementary school for a couple of years. She is the youngest of my mother's siblings, my mother being the oldest of 6 children, my aunt and I are just 4 years apart in age.

We were walking to school and my mother came driving up in our car. She should have been at work a long time before this. She yelled at us, "Your not going to school today, get in the car! We are going to the beach!" This had never happened before and I don't ever really remember it happening after this. Some things you never forgot no matter how young you are.

I played "Hooky" this day. Along with my parents and aunt, there came along, my 2 uncles, and one of my uncles girlfriends who is know also my aunt.

I never forgot this day. It was so memorable because after just arriving at the beach, I stepped out into the sand and immediately stepped on a piece of glass. My uncle Micheal, then carried me all over the beach for the rest of the day. With a bloody bandage on my foot. I remember a sea lion, the tide pools and shells. I never forgot this day.

Just yesterday I told my mom about this memory. The cut on my foot, the sea lion we got so close to, and getting out of school that day. She told me that it was all my Dads idea. I never knew that, since she picked up up on our way to school. I always thought it was her idea. It wasn't. My parents have been divorced since 1980, the year my youngest brother was born. I don't get to see my real dad very often, and I have a wonderful Step dad, that I love very much. But I am glad that my dad had the idea of getting out of work and school that day. We all made memories that can never be taken away from us. I thank God for our fathers. Some of us are lucky and have more than one father figure, and if you don't have any, GOD is there to help us make memories, with him, we will never forget.

No comments: