Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The new spider Part 2



This is a picture of the first cricket we gave the spider to eat. Before this he had eaten a fly we caught. He much preferred the crickets I think. In this picture the cricket is almost the same size as the spider. The first time I saw him eat I wasn't prepared for the amazing show it was going to put on. He stalked the cricket like a cat stalking it's prey. Keeping the one he wanted in front of him at all times. When it finally came into reach he would jump at it with lightning quickness, bite and jump back. Then as the cricket became paralyzed it would take it into it's mouth and climb or walk around with it. The spider did this with all 3 of the crickets we gave him back to back, within 12 hours he had eaten 3 crickets. This was on Sunday, so on Tuesday we gave him another 3 crickets, and Tomorrow he will go to his new home. I can't say that I will be sad seeing him go. I know I will sleep much better knowing he is elsewhere. I did really well the first several days of after his arrival, but the longer he's here the more creeped out I am becoming. I think it has something to do with seeing him eat. I am sure there will be more spiders, as long as I have a friend, whose son marvels at them, there will always be a place for them to go, and we will always pass them along.

No comments: