Thursday, November 22, 2007

THANKSGIVING

When you think of thanksgiving what do you think of? Most people think of Pilgrims and Indians. Some think of patriotism. Some think of the food, or parades. When some says "What do you have to be thankful for?" Some might say my family or friends. Others might say that I have a place to call home or something to eat, clothes to wear etc. Here is the definition of that thanks giving is.
Merriam-Webster Difines
THANKSGIVING:
1: the act of giving thanks
2: a prayer expressing gratitude
3 a: a public acknowledgment or celebration of divine goodness

Need I say more? There is one thing above all else that I am thankful for and that is, that GOD found me. That I know HIM. Above all else he has changed me and I will never be the same. So how do you thank him? Just read definition (2), and (3). Today will be about HIM.

Some history on thanksgiving:
Thanksgiving was proclaimed by every president after Lincoln. The date was changed a couple of times, most recently by Franklin Roosevelt, who set it up one week to the next-to-last Thursday in order to create a longer Christmas shopping season. Public uproar against this decision caused the president to move Thanksgiving back to its original date two years later. And in 1941, Thanksgiving was finally sanctioned by Congress as a legal holiday, as the fourth Thursday in November.

If interested in more facts visit this site:
http://www.thanksgivingworld.com/thanksgiving-history.html



HAPPY THANKSGIVING



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis. Alice you are so right on when you write yhat God found you, I can't stand it when I hear somebody say "when i found God". When the lord found me, I wasn't even looking for him.

Jolene Harris said...

Alice, There are so many things to be thankful for. But like you said being found by the Lord is the only thing that has changed my life and gave me a purpose, a meaning, and a reason for being. He made something beautiful of my life. For that, I am thankful.

Alice said...

Jolene,
Yes, I am too!
Alice