Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I realize the more I read blogs, the more it makes me think of all the funny things that have happened to me in my life. I realizes that this blog is still in the making, and in a way it needs to find it's self, develop over time. So I had a brain storm, once in a while I will post a funny story about myself.

When I was very young, I had lots of great adventures with my various grand parents and siblings, aunts and uncles. One of which, I will share here today. My grandfather, Grandpa Joe, would call me "Alice the menace", after the famous "Dennis the Menace" and when I read that comic strip, I see were it comes from...

In my simple mind my Grandmother's name should be "Grandma Joe" because, if that was my Grandpa's name then it should be my grandma's name too, my simple thinking...LOL.
Really her name was "Grandma Ester", which to this day doesn't sound quite right. So "Grandma Joe" it is, and will always be.

I must have been 3-4 years old, and I remember it like it was yesterday. My Grandma Joe sold Avon. She stayed home and took care of me in my early years of life. Well, she was a very sociable person and had many friends in the neighborhood were she lived in. Needless to say she was good at selling to her friends all different kinds of cosmetics and perfumes and soaps, etc. She also always had plenty of samples that came along with her orders.

One day I decided that I would help myself to some samples, you know nice smelling perfumes, and red, red lipsticks, and very blue eye shadows. I proceeded to open all the samples I could find and test everything out I could open. I think my grandmother always new something was wrong when I was quiet. It was never good if she had to look for me. Well I was in the back of the house in an extra room where she kept her orders of Avon. When she found me I had opened every single lipstick, eyeshadow and cosmetic that she had ordered for all of her customers. I couldn't understand what I had done wrong. But this was a day I never did forget, and I never did understand how many dollars of merchandise I had ruined. I'm not sure but I think there was a lock on that door thereafter...LOL!

1 comment:

Mark Pryor said...

You're right it takes time for blogs to find their "voice" but as you keep blogging it will continue to change and develop as long as you allow it to. BTW still laughing about "Alice the Menace."