Saturday, September 8, 2007

The first days of school


Kevin just finished his first week of high school. HIGH SCHOOL! 2 years ago I made a comment that I was to young to have a child in Junior high school. Getting ready for high school seemed a little bit different. I was not as freaked out as I had been when he started junior high. I think high school was a lot easier for him than junior high. I missed his origanal registeration day. We were at camp meeting, so his counselor said the make up day was the day before school started. I geuss up until then I was in denial that my son was going to be at a school with 18 year old boys/men. It all hit me when we were finally there to register. I think it went really well, no major problems with registation, but the reality hit me. Then I FREAKED OUT!

The next day was the first day of school. I took the day off of work like I always do. Last year Joe said, "Why do you have to take the whole day off?" Now, I am a mother, and no matter how old my childern are, I AM THEIR MOTHER! Joe said jokingly of course, "I would just drop him off at the corner" (HUSBANDS!) I was really glad I was there with Kevin, and although he wants to fly on his own, I know he was glad I was there also. I was standing in line with him and he looked at me, "You can go now mom" he said. I told him I would sit over on the bench and be there if he needed me. Otherwise, you just do your thing. He said OKAY! I sat down and waited. I was glad I stayed, he got his schedule and couldn't find his first class. So I helped him and then I left for home.

It's funny how things went that day. I have had plenty of days off of work and home alone, but this day wes filled with an anticipation of "I wounder how his day is going?" I think I looked at the clock about 100 times, and even counted how much longer I had until I picked him up.

The rest of the day was acutually pretty funny also. At 2:30pm when I picked Madison up from school, it was about 105 degrees outside. Knowing how hot it was I grabbed 2 cold bottles of water, and headed off to pick the kids up. Madison's day was great as always. I she was glad I brought her water. I was driving towards Kevin's school when I saw this boy, about 13 years old walking his dog. The VET TECH in me came out. I know super vet tech to the rescue! It was so hot and this dog was about to die of heat stroke. It was a pug. They are brachiocephelic dog and can't breathe in regular room temp, let alone 105 degrees. I told Madison THAT DOG IS DIEING! I mad a u-turn and pulled over and talked to the boy who was nevous talking to a stranger. He politely declined a ride home, so I did what I had to do. I gave away Kevins cold water bottle! LOL, You all thaought I was going to say I stole the dog , huh? Well needless to say when I picked up Kevin he said his day went well, he only got lost one time.

On our way home, Kevin saw his friend. We pulled over but couldn't offer him a ride. His bike had broke down and the tire was off the wheel frame. He was walking his bike home. I felt bad so we gave him a hot bottle of water which is all we had and he thanked us. About 20 minutes later he called to say that his bike was hit/side swiped by a truck, which did't even stop to see if he was okay. He was okay, but his bike was more messed up than before.

What a first day of school. I was so glad to spend the day, watching my kids grow up. Last year when Joe said "Your going to take the whole day off of work?" I said "Kevin only has 4 more first days of school left, For the rest of his life, I only have 4 more times, I get to take him to school on the first day" But now I only have 3. Cherish your children, they grow up way to fast.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

8 comments:

Mark Pryor said...

Yes, our kids grow up way too fast. This has been a week of that for us as well....with Sheldon turning 8 and starting 3rd grade all in same week it brings this to the forefront of your thoughts quickly.

Jolene Harris said...

Alice I enjoyed this post. Sure brought back alot of memories. Let's see, it has been 10 years since I took my youngest to his last first day of school. Wow, where has time gone? You are right is taking the time off to be a part of these precious times. They will be over before you know and then like me you will be asking that same question. Enjoy the moments while you have them.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. :-)

Alice said...

I was glad to share this memory with my friends and family. I will cherish this time because I know it is short. Thank you for your comments.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

How true this is. Our children,( and now my grandchildren) grow up way too fast! Jacob changed school this year, and I haven't set up a new routine. Last year, I would pick him up on wednesday (short day), have lunch the 2 of us and spend time. Some weeks Samuel would join us after coming home on by bus, other times we'd pick him up.
It seems Crystal was just walking to High School down the street last year...
Definitely worth taking the day off Sister!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis first time visiting your blog and LOVE IT. Yes enjoy the next three first days of school with him. Now that Donald will be 18 soon it just seemed like yesterday that he was Baby Donald and no matter how old they get they will always be our babies.

Alice said...

Yes I will enjoy the next 3 very much. They are always our babies! Thanks for your comment!

Sis. Sabrina said...

Alice it seems like the boys were just starting Jr high and now high school. I pray these years dont go as fast as the last three have. Frank and I went to open house for Cody the other night we got to do his schedule and meet all his teachers.The highlights were preparing him for college and the high school exams Please Lord help us truly enjoy our boys these next 4yrs.
Love ya Sabrina

Alice said...

I also went to Kevins open house night and it was the same, time just goes faster as we get older but I do wish it would slow down a bit, we need to remeber to take that time out and just stop and smell the roses.